B.A./B.S. degree from an accredited college or university
Cumulative GPA of 3.0
Note: Meeting minimum entrance requirements does not guarantee admission.
There are no prerequisites for this program.
Students must own or have access to a laptop for use during the on-site capstone experience.
On-site capstone experience
One required, on-site capstone experience in a retreat-like setting provides an invaluable opportunity to meet and interact in person with fellow students, professionals, faculty, and staff.
More information about the onsite capstone experience
- Request official transcripts. Transcripts must be in the original sealed envelope from the school, or from a certified electronic official transcript provider such as Docufide, Scrip Safe or National Clearinghouse (email to firstname.lastname@example.org). Transcripts required: B.A./B.S. transcript showing degree conferred, any post-baccalaureate transcript, and any transcript with relevant coursework.
Please order early - transcripts can take up to 4-6 weeks to arrive. Mail transcripts for receipt on or before the deadline to:
The College of St. Scholastica
Office of Graduate and Extended Studies Admissions
1200 Kenwood Avenue
Duluth, MN 55811
- Complete the Online Application. You will need to use an updated browser, preferably Firefox, Chrome or Safari.
- Upload a complete M.S. in HIM/ITL Essay (word or pdf)
The admissions essay should be written in essay format, address all of the questions below, represent your highest level of academic writing, and demonstrate your ability to participate in a rigorous, fast-paced, graduate program. Revisions will be requested if these requirements are not met. Sample essay.
Prepare a 500-word essay, typed and double-spaced, using 12-point Times New Roman font and one-inch margins, answering the following:
- What life experiences lead you to pursue a master's degree in Health Information Management?
- What leadership skills have you demonstrated in your field?
- What are your career goals and how will a master's in Health Information Management support those goals?
- Why did you choose The College of St. Scholastica for your studies?
- Describe the role of HIM and health informatics in assuring the quality and safety of healthcare services.
- Enter contact information for two references who observe and evaluate your leadership competencies or abilities. These individuals will receive an email request to complete an online recommendation form, with an optional letter upload. The subject of the email will include "Please submit your recommendation for *First Name *Last Name".
- Upload resume
- An admissions interview may be requested by the Admissions Committee
- If you have international transcripts or noncitizen status, you will need to send additional documentation. Please see the International Admissions Policy for complete details
- Discuss financing your education with OneStop early in the application process by calling (877) 287-8716.
- Upon receipt of all application materials, the application packet will be forwarded to the Admissions Committee for review and the admissions decision.
Early submission is encouraged; applications are reviewed as they are completed. Applications completed after the following deadlines will be submitted for the subsequent term.
Fall: Aug. 5
Fall mid-term: Sept. 30
Spring: Dec. 9
Spring mid-term: Feb. 17
Summer: April 21
Submit Decision Response Form
See Graduate Transfer Credit Policy
Credit Transfer Application form
See Program/Transfer Guide for MS HIM or HIM/ITL