Go to www.fafsa.gov and click on the green Login tab
If your FAFSA is selected for Verification, the U.S. Department of Education requires your school to verify the information reported on your FAFSA. This process is not an audit of your taxes, but a way for the Department of Education to confirm the accuracy of your FAFSA information based on random selection.
In order to complete the verification process, all 3 steps below must be completed:
Step 1: Complete a verification worksheet
Step 2: Verify your federal tax information (Select One Option)
- Go to www.fafsa.gov and click on the green Login tab.
- Enter your FSA ID.
- Click on "Make a FAFSA Correction."
- Click on the Financial Information tab.
- Click on Link to IRS.
- Answer the income tax return question and follow the prompts on the screen. Be sure to enter your address EXACTLY as it appears on your tax return (i.e. Street, St, St.).
- Visit IRS.gov
- Click on Get Transcript By Mail
- Click OK on pop-up box
- Enter your Social Security Number and Date of Birth
- Enter Street Address EXACTLY as it appears on your tax return (i.e. Street, St. St.)
- Enter Zip Code
- Click Continue
- Select tax year that corresponds with worksheet
- Select from drop down menu Tax Return Transcript only (Account transcript is not the correct selection)
- Click Submit
- Make sure these steps are completed for both student & parent (if dependent)
- This process may take up to two full weeks before it is received by mail to the address that was entered
- If you are unable to request or move forward requesting online, please try the following:
- Check your exact postal address here and complete steps again
- Request tax transcript via phone: 1.800.908.9946 using the prompts
- Request tax transcript by mail: download & fill out Form 4506-T and send it to IRS
- Send in signed copies of your and your parent's (if applicable) 2015 IRS Tax Return.
- The tax forms can be faxed to (218) 733-2255, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
The College of St Scholastica
1200 Kenwood Ave
Duluth, MN 55811
- Make sure that the 2015 IRS Tax Return forms (1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) are signed before sending them in.
- Please send in federal tax information only. We do not need state tax return documents.
Step 3: Submit all documents to Onestop Student Services
Onestop Student Services
1200 Kenwood Avenue T1130
Duluth, MN 55811
Fax: (218) 733.2255
Phone: (218) 723.6570
Toll Free: (877) 287.8716