- B.A./B.S. degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.8; 3.0 for MS in 5 option
- Professional exploration: a minimum of two athletic training practice settings addressing the needs of distinct patient populations. (MS in 5 candidates must complete a minimum of 50 hours of exploration.)
Note: Meeting minimum entrance requirements does not guarantee admission.
Students must present evidence of successful completion of the following CSS courses (or equivalencies as subject to consideration by the CSS Athletic Training Admissions Committee). Grades of C (C-/CD not acceptable) or higher is required in all individual prerequisite courses. These courses must be completed before matriculation.
- BIO 2110 Vertebrate Anatomy and Physiology I (4)
- BIO 2120 Vertebrate Anatomy and Physiology II (4)
- CHEM 1020 Introductory Chemistry for the Health Sciences (4) or CHEM 1110 General Chemisty I (4)
- EXP 3331 Exercise Physiology (4)
- PSC 2001 Physics I (4) or EXP 3322 Biomechanics (4)
- PSY 3331 Statistics (4)
- PSY 1105 General Psychology or PSY 2208 Developmental Psychology or PSY 3423 Abnormal Psychology (4)
NOTE: Equivalencies of 2110, 2120, 1020 and 2001 must include laboratory components
- BIO 3020 Pathophysiology (4)
- HSC 2203 Intro to US Healthcare System (4)
- PSC 2002 Physics II (4)
- PSY 3341 Introduction to Counseling (2)
Under the terms of these agreements, slots each are reserved for students that meet all the admissions criteria. Interested students should contact the Chair of Athletic Training at St. Scholastica or the chairperson of the respective department at the listed institution. The institutions with articulation agreements include:
- Concordia University St. Paul (Exercise Science)
- University of Wisconsin - Green Bay (Human Biology)
- University of Wisconsin - Parkside (Allied Health Science/Fitness Mgmt. & Sport Mgmt.)
- University of Wisconsin - Superior (Health and Human Performance)
- Wisconsin Lutheran College (Exercise Science)
- University of Wisconsin - River Falls (Exercise and Sports Science)
- Plattsburgh State University of New York (Fitness and Wellness Leadership)
- Request official transcripts. Transcripts must be in the original sealed envelope from the school, or from a certified electronic official transcript provider such as Docufide, Scrip Safe or National Clearinghouse (email to email@example.com). Transcripts required: BA/BS transcript showing degree conferred, any post-baccalaureate transcript, and any transcript with pre-requisite coursework.
Please order early - transcripts can take up to 4-6 weeks to arrive. Mail transcripts for receipt on or before the deadline to:
The College of St. Scholastica
Office of Graduate and Extended Studies Admissions
1200 Kenwood Avenue
Duluth, MN 55811
- Complete the Online Application. You will need to use an updated browser, preferably Firefox, Chrome, or Safari.
- Upload a Master's of Athletic Training Essay (word or pdf)
Prepare an essay, typed and double-spaced, using 12-point Times New Roman font and one-inch margins, addressing the following points. This should represent your highest level of academic writing and demonstrate ability to participate in a rigorous, fast-paced, academic program. Please formulate your thoughts in an essay format, integrating your responses in a cohesive manner, not short answer.
- What are your career goals?
- What personal characteristics and skills make you well suited for Athletic Training?
- Discuss your personal ethics and values. Explain why those are important to professional practice.
- Address any deficiencies with your application (prereqs, grades, etc. Discuss your ability to be successful despite these deficiencies and include strategies you will use to succeed. You must make a compelling case for admission.
- Enter contact information for two references, at least one of which must be an athletic trainer (M.S. in 5 students must submit one additional recommendations from CSS faculty verifying fitness for graduate studies. No scores less than 3 are accepted). These individuals will receive an email request to complete an online recommendation form, with an optional letter upload. The subject of the email will include "Please submit your recommendation for *First Name *Last Name".
- Upload completed Professional Exploration Form (docx)
- An interview with member(s) of the admissions committee may be requested (required for MS in 5 option)
- If you have international transcripts or non-citizen status, you will need to send additional documentation. Please see the International Admissions Policy for complete details.
- Discuss financing your education with the Financial Aid office early in the application process by calling (877) 287-8716.
- Upon receipt of all application materials, the application packet will be forwarded to the Admissions Committee for review and an admissions decision.
The application deadline for the MS in 5 option is Nov. 15. The application deadline for priority consideration for the post-baccalaureate option is Jan. 15. Review of completed application files will continue until all open seats for the program are filled.
- Submit Decision Response Form
- Submit $250 non-refundable deposit
- Submit Student Health Services forms, including the immunization form, through the COR student portal/My Health/Forms, or https://myhealth.css.edu
- More information for accepted students
Course Fees (2013-14):
ATR 5006 | $105
ATR 5007 | $105
ATR 5510 | $300
ATR 6002 | $40
ATR 6009 | $100
ATR 6100 | $170
ATR 6502 | $40
ATR 6508 | $40
ATR 7004 | $130
ATR 7008 | $150
ATR 7009 | $40
ATR 7504 | $10
ATR 7100 | $30
ATR 7888/7980 | $60