"I always wondered why somebody didn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." - Lily Tomlin
The educational mission at St. Scholastica is to provide the education, guidance and opportunities so that you can in turn give back to the community around you. Volunteering is a perfect way to put into action the language of our mission. There are a variety of other benefits to volunteering including:
Coordinated through CSS
- VITA (Volunteers Involved Through Action) is a Campus Ministry student organization, which seeks to provide service and social justice opportunities for students. VITA makes it easy for students to volunteer! Whether you choose to volunteer with a Core Site, participate in a one-day opportunity, go on a weekend urban immersion experience or a service-learning trip through VITA, we are glad to help in whatever way we can! Transportation is provided for all VITA activities.
- Community Day
STLF (Students Today Leaders Forever) We are an optimistic group of students who engage in servant leadership to create positive life experiences.
- United Way
- City of Duluth
- Community Action Duluth
- Courage Center
- Damiano Center Clothing Exchange, Soup Kitchen, Kid's Cafe, Clothes that Work, Social Services
- Duluth Community Garden Program Growing, preserving, learning and celebrating fresh local food for a healthier future.
- East Hillside Patch
Post College Volunteer Opportunities
- Jesuit Volunteers Corps The Jesuit Volunteer Corps offers women and men an opportunity to work full-time for justice and peace.
- Peace Corps
- Teach for America
- Catholic Volunteer Network (CVN)
- Christian Appalachian Project Volunteer opportunities in the Appalachian region.
- College Possible (formerly Admission Possible) (Minneapolis, St. Paul)
- Community Technology Empowerment Project
- Franciscan Community Volunteers A ministry of the Franciscan Sisters of Little Falls, Minnesota
- Franciscan Outreach Volunteers Spirituality, Community, Service, Simple Living.
- Lutheran Volunteer Corps LVC matches volunteers with full-time positions in social justice organizations for one year in one of 14 US cities.
- Maggie's Place A Community of Hope transforming lives welcoming expectant mothers.
- Mercy Volunteer Corps Transforming lives, perspectives, the world for over 30 years working for social justice.
- Minnesota Alliance with Youth
- Minnesota GreenCorps
- Minnesota Math Corps (St. Cloud Area)
- Minnesota Reading Corps
- Multicultural Communities in Action (Minneapolis/St. Paul)
- St. Joseph Worker Program Women committed to social justice
- True North AmeriCorps Program (Northeastern Minnesota)
- Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity and PPL (Minneapolis/St. Paul)
- Vincentian Service Corps Live in Community, Gain Experience, Grow Spiritually.
- Global Volunteer Network (GVN) Volunteer programs through our partner organizations 21 countries throughout South America, Africa and Asia
- Catholic Volunteer Network (CVN)
- International Volunteer Programs Association (IVPA) An association of non-governmental organizations involved in international volunteer work and internship exchanges.
- United Nations Volunteers (UNV) The UN organization that contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide.
- NGOabroad A unique service that helps you enter or advance in international humanitarian work and provides frugal, customized international volunteer opportunities.
- Maryknoll China Teacher's Program
- Proworld Be Part of Something Great- Volunteer, Intern, Study
- Passionist Volunteers International Walk with those living at the margins of society in a faith-based community.