Informational Interviews are a chance for you to meet and talk with people who are working in professions you are considering. You are interviewing these individuals to gain information about their job and career field or to gather information about the organization for which they work.
Career Services can assist you in finding contacts for the informational interview. Alumni can also be contacted by searching the Alumni Career Network. You can also meet with family, friends or other professional contacts you have made.
A few tips to consider as you prepare for these interviews:
• Agree to a time and date. Typically 30-60 minutes is a reasonable request for the first meeting.
• Research the occupation and organization for which the person works.
• Write up a list of questions to ask.
• Be prepared to talk about yourself including your interests, goals and major.
• Dress appropriately for the interview. Business casual is suggested.
• Be on time, friendly courteous and professional.
• Write a thank-you letter to the individual within 48 hours of the meeting.
For more detailed information on this topic, review the Informational Interviewing Handout available for down-load from the resource section listed on the right.
The College of St. Scholastica
1200 Kenwood Avenue
Duluth, MN 55811