History of Nursing at St. Scholastica

While The College of St. Scholastica was founded in 1912 by a group of pioneering Benedictine Sisters who offered college courses to six young women, the education of professional nurses at the college began in the 1930's with a five year baccalaureate program. The first students graduated in 1935. The nursing program received accreditation by the Association of Collegiate Schools of Nursing that same year and has been continuously accredited since that time.

In 1947 the length of the nursing curriculum became four years with summer sessions. Since 1960, the baccalaureate nursing curriculum has been designed for completion in four academic years.

Nursing students relax with a game of billiards.Prior to 1973, the nursing department offices and some classrooms were located at Our Lady of Victory Hall, adjacent to St. Mary's Medical Center, a sister Benedictine institution. This building was considered part of the college campus and, for many years, was a dormitory for students in nursing and other majors. In 1973 the nursing department moved to the Science Center which has been recently expanded to offer a state-of-the-art skills lab for nursing students.

The College of St. Scholastica campus is located on a beautiful ridge overlooking Lake Superior. The college also prides itself in the small, friendly atmosphere it offers, and has a history of being recognized for academic excellence and value.

Nursing pin

Nursing pinBeginning with the class of 1957, nursing graduates of both the diploma and baccalaureate programs had the privilege of wearing pewter pins designed by Frank Kacmarcik, a contemporary artist in sacred art, and cast by the D.L Gilbert Company of Parma Heights, OH . The central theme of the design is the Benedictine Cross, modified from the Jubilee medal of St. Benedict. The pin displays the letters C-S-P-B, signifying Crux Sancti Patris Benedicti (Cross of the Holy Father Benedict). The cross is a contemporary one with a shaft of light running through both the vertical and transverse bars. The characters are cast in Neuland type which was originally put in metal by Rudolph Koch, a German artist.

A distinctive gold nursing pin with the Latin phrase Sicut mater ego consolabor (As a mother I console thee) encircled by a wreath of golden leaves was first worn by graduates of St. Mary's Training School for Nurses in 1912. Although the designer is unknown, the phrase in the center of the design first appears in the graduation exercises program dated October 17, 1912, as the motto of that class. This phrase, with essentially the same design, was recast in 1944 by the Terryberry Company of Grand Rapids, Mich. and retailed in Duluth by the Elton H. Gujer Company. This pin was awarded to nursing graduates of both St. Mary's Hospital School of Nursing and The College of St. Scholastica from 1912-1956.