While The College of St. Scholastica was founded in 1912 by a group of pioneering Benedictine Sisters who offered college courses to six young women, the education of professional nurses at the college began in the 1930's with a five year baccalaureate program. The first students graduated in 1935. The nursing program received accreditation by the Association of Collegiate Schools of Nursing that same year and has been continuously accredited since that time.
In 1947 the length of the nursing curriculum became four years with summer sessions. Since 1960 the baccalaureate nursing curriculum has been designed for completion in four academic years.
Until 1973 the nursing department offices and some classrooms were located at Our Lady of Victory Hall, adjacent to St. Mary's Medical Center, a sister Benedictine institution. This building was considered part of the college campus and was a dormitory for many years for students in nursing and other majors. In 1973 the nursing department moved to the Science Center which has been recently expanded to offer a state of the art skills lab for nursing students.
The College of St. Scholastica Campus is located on a ridge overlooking Lake Superior which offers natural beauty. The college also prides itself in the small, friendly atmosphere it offers, and has a history of being recognized for academic excellence and value.