Admissions Information | Undergraduate Nursing
The application cycle for the graduating class of 2015 will open September 3, 2012 at 8:00 a.m. and the deadline is September 23, 2012 at 11:59 p.m.
Application to Nursing Checklist
Students apply to the nursing program during the fall semester of their sophomore year and if accepted, will begin the nursing program in the spring of their sophomore year.
To prepare for your application to nursing:
- Maintain a 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA at CSS and plan to complete a minimum of 48 college credits by the end of Fall Semester of the sophomore year.
- Certified transcript of any course taken at other institutions on file with CSS Registrar.
- Follow the nursing schema for nursing pre- and co-requisites.
- Earn a grade of C or higher in all courses required for nursing taken at CSS and a grade of B or higher in the courses taken at another institution.
- Complete BIO 1036 or BIO 2001 prior to Fall of the sophomore year to prepare for the Anatomy/Physiology sequence.
Plan to take Anatomy/Physiology I prior to NSG 2200.
Upon application students will need to:
- Be certified in CPR with 2 year expiration. Nursing students are required to take a CPR course for Health Care Providers or Professional Rescuers.
- Have taken a CNA course, a state registration exam, and be a Certified Nursing Assistant. This course is offered locally at Lake Superior College in Duluth, American Red Cross in Duluth, or WITC (Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College) in Superior, WI.
- Have satisfied the immunization requirements listed on MyHealth.
- Provide registration date for the TEAS V (Test of Essential Academic Skills) exam.
- Follow the schema for registration. It is advantageous if you complete the World Languages requirement your freshman or sophomore year.
- ENTER students who have maintained a cumulative GPA of 3.4 or higher and who have met all the requirements for admission, will be guaranteed a spot in the nursing program. However, ENTER students must complete the application form and all the requirements listed above.
Materials/Forms necessary for this process include:
- Online Application to the Major. Link will be posted Monday, September 3rd!
- Nursing Immunization Requirements at MyHealth.
- Healthcare Provider or Professional Rescuer CPR certification card (2 year expiration).
- State CNA Certification issue date OR the date you are registered to complete the course Fall semester.
- Transcript, fee statement, or certificate of completion of the CNA course you took.
- TEAS V (Test of Essential Academic Skills) exam registration date.
CPR certification implies successful completion of the 2 year expiration Healthcare Provider or Professional Rescuer CPR course for adults, children and infants. Other types of CPR courses do not meet this requirement. CPR certification MUST BE RENEWED PRIOR TO THE FALL TERM IN THE ACADEMIC YEAR IN WHICH IT EXPIRES.
Students should check with the Registrar's Office to ensure that transcripts from other institutions have been received. Applicants will be at a disadvantage if coursework taken at other institutions has not been transferred to CSS.
Applications to the major will be reviewed annually in October with an admission status report sent to the student prior to registration for spring semester classes. Admissions will be finalized after fall semester grades are posted. Students will be notified of changes in their admission status via campus email in January. A printed copy will also be sent to the address the student supplied with their application to the major.