Laboratories | Exercise Physiology
The Department of Exercise Physiology is housed in the most recent addition to the Burns Wellness Center and includes two fully equipped laboratories and the SHAPE UP office for physiological assessment and exercise promotion services for the College community. In addition, the graduate-level Functional Anatomy lab is housed in the CSS Science Center.
Click to see a larger image
A full range of state-of-the-art equipment
The Department's two laboratories offer a full complement of metabolic, cardiographic and physiologic assessment equipment. A primary objective of the Department is to provide quality hands-on laboratory and research experiences for all students, so all of our equipment is available for student use rather than set aside for faculty or graduate research. This equipment includes:
- A Medical Graphics Ultima IITM metabolic analyzer with cardiac output and 12-lead ECG capabilities
- Two Medical Graphics Cardio2TM metabolic analyzers that have been upgraded with the latest software available and continue to produce research quality data
- A New Leaf metabolic analyzer
- A Marquette CASE 8000TM Stress Test and Electrocardiographic system with integrated treadmill
- An Acuson 128 Computed Sonography machine
- Four additional stand-alone ECG monitor
- Multiple treadmills, cycle and rowing ergometers
- A variety of stadiometers, scales, skin-fold calipers and body fat analyzers
- Additional equipment for assessing fitness and strength (dynamometers, goniometers, sit-and-reach boxes)
- Ten desktop computers. In addition, the campus offers 24/7 wireless internet access
Functional anatomy lab
The cadaver lab, used for the graduate-level Functional Anatomy course, allows the student the opportunity to see and experience the complexity of the human body and its inner structures through hands-on dissection. Uncovering and discovering the body through dissection provides the student with an experience that reveals the body's elaborate systems, organs and tissues and how they interconnect and function as one.
SHAPE UP program
The SHAPE UP office is used to provide a variety of exercise-related services to the College community, including conducting pre-exercise screening and fitness assessments which are followed up with an exercise prescription and instructions for safe and effective exercise for students, faculty, staff and alumni. The SHAPE UP personal fitness program provides an opportunity for the exercise physiology students to gain practical client/patient contact in a pre-internship setting.