Increasing Women in Information Technology (IWIT)
Students participating in the program will receive annual scholarships up to $10,000 in addition to mentoring and assistance in pursuing graduate study or employment within the field.
The College of St. Scholastica seeks to increase the number of women graduating in the field of Computer Science/Computer Information Systems (CIS) and to better prepare these graduates for the next step in their careers.
To be eligible for the IWIT scholarship program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Major in CIS
- Maintain a GPA of 3.0
- Receive Federal financial aid
- Be enrolled at St. Scholastica full-time
- Be a U.S. citizen, national of the U.S., or permanent resident
Students participating in the program will have the following services available to them:
- Workshops on resume development, interviewing skills, job and internship searching, business etiquette, choosing a graduate program, writing personal statements, and GRE preparation.
- Mentoring lunches four times a year during the junior and senior years with a women technology professional trained as a mentor.
- Financial assistance supporting travel to national and regional conferences in computing, job fairs and field trips to graduate schools and employers.
- Opportunity to be trained as a peer mentor and work with potential and current scholars.
- Cohort gatherings for scholars to increase socialization and networking.
- One-on-one tutoring to maintain a 3.0+ GPA.
- Trained peer mentors.
The Increasing Women in Technology: Attract, Mentor, Engage and Retain scholarship program is funded by the National Science Foundation (DUE-0965948).
Applying to IWIT
Application Deadline: April 15th
To apply, submit the following items to the IWIT Program Director:
- a signed and completed application form (DOC, PDF)
- one page essay addressing why you wish to pursue a degree in computing and technology
- transcripts (high school official transcript or unofficial CSS transcript)
- 2 recommendation forms, at least one of which should be from an instructor (DOC, PDF)
Electronic copies may be mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Paper copies can be sent to:
Jen Rosato, IWIT Program Director
1200 Kenwood Ave.
Duluth, MN 55811
Jennifer Rosato, Program Director
Tower Hall 3407
Diana Johnson, Mentor Coordinator
Tower Hall 3415
Arshia Khan, Women in CIS Exploratory Course Professor
Tower Hall 3401
Tom Gibbons, CIS Open House Coordinator
Tower Hall 3111/p>